COVID-19 Precautions and Procedures
It goes without saying that the new-normal is a very strange and different one from what we've traditionally known. These have obviously been very unusual times for participatory events, but the unexpected "pause" of the mostly-shuttered 2020 season has at the very least, given us ample opportunity to plan and prepare for what comes next.
We're very aware that all of the uncertainty around the COVID-19 pandemic will open up many questions, and that the well-being of participants, staff and volunteers will be on everyone's minds when people come together again. So without casting a shadow on the amazing weekend we have in store for you, we want to clearly outline the approach we are taking to safely re-launch RockstAR for 2021.
Plans will of course evolve should circumstances change. Further details will be provided in the racer information packages once they are posted, but a general overview is as follows:
• The 4-hour race will now be hosted on the Sunday of Race Weekend. The 8-hour course will remain on Saturday as before.
• Teams will be issued pre-assigned starting times staggered in 10-minute intervals.
• Starting times will be broken into two waves on each day. Waves will be gapped one hour apart.
• Registration for each wave will be capped in accordance with local and/or provincial health agency guidelines.
• Indoor facilities will not be used, other than for washroom access.
• While you can be certain that there will be equally fun/more "contactless" replacements, some of the traditional RockstAR theme/task-based challenges won't be available this time.
• Pre-race briefings will be delivered online in video format, in the week leading up to Race Day.
• No pre-race bus shuttles for this year's racecourse.
• We know it sucks, but photo stations, formal awards ceremonies or post-race gatherings can't be offered.
• Teams will be asked to disperse from the finish area immediately after crossing the finish.
• Post-race boxed meals will be offered on a grab-and-go basis (breakfast or dinner buffets are obviously out).
Minimizing Contact Points
• New contactless race kit pick-up process, with all team materials pre-kitted, and waivers to be completed in advance of Race Weekend.
• Regular check-in processes such as gear check or merchandise sales will be eliminated.
• Race bibs will not be recycled (yours to keep!)
• On-course timing stations will be re-formatted to be contactless. Traditional paper passports and pin-punching will not be used.
• Teams will now be responsible for their own snacks and fluids while on the racecourse.
Handwashing, Sanitizing and Personal Protective Equipment
• Masks will be provided to race staff and volunteers.
• Locations where racers interact with race staff such as on-course checkpoints or the finish line download station will have shielded barriers.
• Washroom facilities will be regularly cleaned and sanitized.
• Free-standing hand sanitizer stations will be positioned throughout the race site.
Where We'll Need Your Help
• First and foremost is of course, maintaining physical distancing before and during the race.
• Traditional race interactions such as high-fives and team hugs just can't happen for the time being.
• As weird as it may sound, our more "subconscious" race habits such as snot-rockets and spitting need to be suppressed as well.
• Spectators can't be allowed this time. As unusual as it is, please do not bring friends or family to the event.
Should you have any questions regarding any of these points, please feel free to contact us at any time.
Your Storm Racing Team